On Getting COVID-19

Covid 19 virus

It’s ridiculous. I have been so careful during the last few years. I wore a mask. I stayed away from crowds (unless it was a great concert and then I wore a mask). I had two Moderna vaccinations and two boosters and still got COVID-19.

Some may say that it won’t be bad if you get it if you are vaccinated. Others, say it doesn’t matter if you’re vaccinated or not.

The fact is, if I didn’t get the booster, I would be on a ventilator. I know it now because I have COVID.

Getting COVID

I had a wonderful weekend filled with fun, friends, and relaxation. On Monday morning, as I normally do, I got up at 4 am and got myself ready for open water swim with a friend. I got to Tobay at 5:30 am and swam. It was wonderful. I was in my happy place. That morning I swam for almost two hours and enjoyed every moment of it.

When I got home, I took a shower in my awesome outdoor shower and was drinking my coffee. I felt my throat was bothering me. I hadn’t felt that way in a long time, so I decided to take out a COVID test and test myself. I was negative.

As the day wore on…

At around 2 pm, I was really feeling sick. I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t leave the bed. I had the chills, headache, and body aches, I felt a mess. I went to urgent care to get another test. It was negative.

The next day, I woke up feeling worse. I tested myself and this time it was positive.

I saw online that South Nassau was giving out Monoclonal Antivirus infusions and decided to head over there. It was a disaster. They didn’t take me in and here I was infecting the entire waiting room. I started to have a panic attack so I left without being seen. (Watch for my upcoming blog about not going back to South Nassau Communities Hospital)

Driving over to Urgent Care was my next stop. But first, I had to call my insurance company to tell them not to pay South Nassau and that I would not give them a penny! I was so upset.

At Urgent Care

When I walked in, they served me immediately. The nurse asked me lots of questions and swabbed my nose. The test came back negative.

“Well, maybe I just have the flu,” I told the doctor.

“Oh, you have COVID. Believe me, you got it,” he said. And with that, he took another swab but this time, he went deeper into my nose. I thought I was going to throw up!

“You will know the results in two days,” he said.

I asked him for Paxlovid. He didn’t want to give it to me but after some whining, he agreed. I took it immediately.

Still Feeling Bad After Three Days

My lungs were hurting. My cough was so deep in my lungs and I felt so tired. I couldn’t move. I called up my pulmonologist who told me to take yet another round of prednisone. (This will be my third dose in less than two months. I’m praying I won’t have any side effects!)

So, now I’m on Paxlovid (which by the way, my pulmonologist was like – TAKE IT!), prednisone, Tylenol, and all my other meds. I feel like a junkie.

Last thoughts about it

Well, I’m grateful that I got it now before I go overseas in two weeks. I’m also grateful that I got it now as opposed to 2020 when no one knew anything. And, I’m grateful for my family and friends who have reached out. My brother sent me a nice basket of “Jewish Penicillin” which was so nice!

I’ll be back sooner than you know… hugs to all from quarantine!